Years watercolor painting: 8+
- Multiple national and international juried shows
- Professional watercolor solo shows
- Author of a book on sketching
- Work Included in a Portraiture book and Urban Sketching book by Virginia Hein
- Curator of professional gallery shows
- Administrator of 1800+ member watercolor
painting group on Flickr
- Multiple award winner for plein air + watercolor
Experiences that Uma credits with shaping her as an instructor in an ongoing way:
- Teaching has taught her that pleasing everyone is not possible. The best outcome is when you can break down a problem into bite sizes and teach them with confidence. Bite size exercises can feel too easy, but the class work at the end of a string of exercises reflects higher quality precisely because of bite size exercises.
- Leading a sketch walk (with iPad) at the Apple store in Union Square, San Francisco, allowed her to prove what she believes in – that design concepts can easily cross boundaries of media.
- An electrical engineer by education, she believes her lack of formal art education actually is an asset, as she is unhindered by set ideas and methods of approaching a fine-arts problem.