Instructor: Joel Berman
Students will learn how to rapidly document the buildings in their own graphic vocabulary, interior and exterior. The class will stress a formulaic approach to developing exceptional compositions using thumbnail diagrams and basic, non-technical perspective. Emphasis will be placed on loose, free hand drawing techniques in lieu of technical drawing. This class is appropriate for beginners with no experience.
The sketching will focus on several nearby historic Chicago buildings – outdoor and/or indoor locations depending on the weather.
- Learn or improve upon the following freehand sketching skills and techniques: contour lines, value and contrast, composition, and one point and two point perspective.
- Improve your ability to document and remember the existing built environment.
- Improve your ability to use freehand sketching as an architectural design tool.
- Learn how to draw faster and with more confidence.
- 8 1/2 x 11 sketch pad
- 4b, 2b, hb, 2h, & 4h pencils
- Optional: pens