Instructor: Don Yang
Students will learn how to effectively capture the sense of fleeting light, color, and atmosphere in an urban environment using oil paint. There will be two main emphases in this workshop:
- The first will be the fundamentals of sketching outdoors (regardless of the medium), which will encompass such fundamentals as sound composition, color harmony, convincing drawing, sketching the outdoor environment, and so on.
- The second will deal with the painting methods and techniques specifically related to the medium of oil paint and other auxiliary oil painting materials, tools, and the set-up, all of which are necessary in outdoor oil sketching.
Participants will learn how to:
- Develop and understand the basic principles or rules of perspective drawing
- View the urban environment as a line drawing and how to break down complex scenes into simple forms
- Save time and build confidence by not using an eraser
- Build and create depth with the use of line weight and textures
- Use basic techniques for sketching the urban entourage
Portable paint box (simple pochade box of various sorts or French easel)
Oil paints, brushes, solvents, canvas panels, palette, palette cup, paper towels
(Detailed list for the specific colors, brushes, canvas panels, etc. will be provided to the participants prior to the workshop and after general registration is finalized.)