Instructor: Paul Ingold
Add depth and value to your urban sketch using a pen and a minimal watercolor palette.
- How to start a quick urban sketch with pen and ink without being overwhelmed by
the busy city environment.
- How to identify and apply a range of values.
- How to add watercolor to enhance pen and ink drawing, by focusing on a consistent angle of light, and knowing where the shadows fall.
- Micron pens (or similar pen with waterproof ink) – I typically use the Micron “3 pack.” Although, one pen should be fine.
- At least three to four watercolor tubes or cakes. (For beginners – The Windsor & Newton pocket palette is a great place to start.)
- Watercolor paper
My palette typically includes:
- Yellow Ochre
- Burnt Sienna
- Indigo, or Ultramarine Blue
- Cerulean blue